West Lakeview, Chicago History
The community has a long and storied past, with districts like Wrigleyville and Boystown being central to the diversity and cultural life of the neighborhood. In 1887, Lakeview Township was incorporated and subsequently annexed by the city. The borders encompassed east to Western Avenue, and from Fullerton Avenue north to Devon Avenue. This is a slightly larger area than the current Lakeview neighborhood today. The name Lakeview came to be because of its closeness to Lake Michigan and the views it offered residents at the time, providing better views of the Chicago River than Lake Michigan which was a bit too far in the east. The western part of Lakeview was where the city’s biggest shopping districts formed along the Lincoln-Belmont-Ashland intersection. The area was originally settled by farmers from Sweden, Luxembourg, and Germany. Celery was the most important local crop being grown at that time. Several decades later, the popular Wieboldt’s Department Store established itself there in 1917 at the intersection of Lincoln, Belmont, and Ashland Avenues. Today it is long gone but still remains a primary shopping district with many retail stores and businesses. In 1952, the Lakeview Citizens Council was formed and out of that have developed 9 other smaller residential organizations for the different geographic sections in Lakeview. The West Lakeview Neighbors was developed in order to provide representation for residents on the western end of Lake View between Racine, Belmont, Ravenswood, and Addison. 2011 saw an expansion of its boundaries to also include the area between Ashland, Addison, Ravenswood, and Irving Park.
The community of West Lakeview is approximately 12,283 residents. It has a predominantly white population around 85.7%, followed by African-Americans and Hispanics. Asian residents amount to about 6.4% of the population of the neighborhood.
McKinley Family Google Map
West Lakeview, Chicago Google Map
Directions from West Lakeview to McKinley Family Chiropractic