Irving Park is known to be one of 77 officially designated Chicago community areas found on the Northwest Side. The area is bounded on the east by the Chicago River, on the west by the Milwaukee Road railroad tracks, on the south by Addison Street and on the north by Montrose Avenue, west of Pulaski Road stretching to include the area between Belmont Avenue on the south and, roughly Leland Avenue on the north. The neighborhood was named after Washington Irving, a famous American author.
The development of Irving Park started in 1843 when Major Noble bought a 160-acre tract of land from Christopher J. Ward, wherein Noble started a farm. Today, the boundaries of that original farm are Montrose Avenue to the North, Irving Park Road to the south, Pulaski Road to the east, and to the west by Kostner Avenue. The home of Major Noble on the East Side of Elston just south of Montrose served also as the Buckthorn Tavern, offering travelers respite coming to and from Chicago along the North West Plank Road. Noble was quite successful at farming for many years until he retired and sold the land to McHenry County.
An agreement was reached with the Northwestern Railroad and Chicago to let trains stop in Irving Park if a station was built by developers. The original name for the new suburb was actually “Irvington” after famed author Washington Irving but it was known that another town in Illinois already goes by that name and therefore, the name Irving Park was adopted.
McKinley Family Google Map
Irving Park, Chicago Google Map
Directions from Irving Park to McKinley Family Chiropractic