With the hustle and bustle of every day life, it seems like eating is even adifficult task. Whether you are faced with a demanding job, family responsibilities or social engagements, it’s incredibly important to set aside time to eat a meal.
Here are ten ways to create a healthy and happy dining experience:
- Eat “real” food: The best foods in life provide you with a wealth of vitamins and minerals. Thus, it’s important to eat nourishing foods, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains vs. highly processed foods.
- Keep it simple: The term “cook” is frequently associated with a day’s worth of hard work. You can easily make a healthy, homemade meal in a matter of minutes. For example, you can cut up a few vegetables, sauté them in a skillet and serve them over brown rice.
- Turn the TV off: The TV is often filled with chaotic shows, which can build upon your already hectic day. Additionally, it can become a great obstacle between you and your dinner companion(s). When its mealtime, hit the “off” button on your remote control.
- Set a relaxing mood: To create a relaxing mood, light some candles and/or play light tunes for soothing background noise. This is a wonderful way to let the mind and body relax prior to sitting down for dinner.
- Sit at the table: The table is the ideal place to enjoy a meal. It allows you to solely focus on your food without distractions. Other places, such as your desk, the couch, and even your car, direct your attention away from your food, which results in unhealthy eating habits.
- Decorate your table: I encourage you to adorn your table with something nice, such as a vase with fresh, seasonal flowers. This will create an inviting and enjoyable atmosphere.
- Turn your cell phone off: To avoid interruptions, turn your cell phone off for a minimum of one hour. This allows you to unwind from your day and enjoy the food that is before you. You can always call the person back after your meal.
- Chew your food: Chewing seems like a simple and obvious task; however, it can be quite challenging in our busy lives. By thoroughly chewing your food, you will have a satisfying, calming experience accompanied with better digestion.
- Focus on the positive: Often, we find ourselves dwelling on the negative aspects of life, rather than focusing on the positive. When dining with someone else, strive to discuss an uplifting, stress-free topic. A great way to start a positive conversation is by asking someone to tell you something “good.”
10. Embrace the moment: By focusing on the present moment, you will have the ability to concentrate on your dining experience without stressful thoughts about the past or future. The present moment will pass in an instant, so take the opportunity to enjoy it!
With these simple tips, you can enjoy a wonderful, relaxing meal that nourishes your mind, body and soul.
Natalie Drugan, Founder of Brumberry and Certified Health Coach
Brumberry is my nutrition and lifestyle coaching practice. As a certified health coach, I educate individuals and groups on how to make healthy food and lifestyle choices that significantly improve their health and happiness. Contact me today for a free consultation. We can discuss your unique situation and develop a plan that works best for you.